Friday, October 26, 2012

Why I'm obsessed with political stuff

Everyone on Facebook has been complaining this year about how everyone else seems to be posting political stuff, and they can't wait for November 6 to pass so everyone will just shut up and go home.  It's not going to happen with me.  I'm political ALL the time.

Why?

A few years ago, one of my best friends came to me in tears because she couldn't get a job.  She was doing okay health-wise on her medication (she has epilepsy and bipolar, which cause her to be disabled when she doesn't have her meds) but here's the kicker - she could only afford her meds if she was on MEDICAID.  If she got a job (she wanted to be a phlebotomist) it would pay her just enough to lose her Medicaid benefits, but she wouldn't get good enough health insurance benefits for her to be able to afford her own medication.

Um, so I pretty much hate the Democratic party for this.  (And don't get me started on why I hate the Republican party, too!)  Keep everyone dependent on the government and spend lots of money so you can keep your power and control over the people?  It seems to me that this follows that the goal of the Democratic party would be to make everyone poor and make everyone slaves to the party/government.  YES, I understand the actual goal is social liberalism and to make sure everyone has equal rights and life is "fair" ... but ... reality?  You tend to make people poor, sick, and dependent on the government.  And you don't treat people equally - you pick and choose favorites.  Your favorites are the poor and disadvantaged and people who make bad decisions and you want everyone else to pay for it.  Great.  Thanks for forcing charity on me because obviously without your mandates I wouldn't be charitable.

It makes me see how vital a role religion and charity play in society, and why although regimes fall, religion carries on.  There is a sense of choice with charity, and you understand why you have the desire to help those who are struggling.  When you start attaching numbers to things, that sense of charity and personal responsibility and intrinsic motivation disappears.

Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment